Monday, October 18, 2010

Choosing to See


Book:  Choosing to See
Author:  Mary Beth Chapman

I’ve told my kids for years that God doesn’t make mistakes,” writes Mary Beth Chapman, wife of Grammy award winning recording artist Steven Curtis Chapman. “Would I believe it now, when my whole world as I knew it came to an end?” Covering her courtship and marriage to Steven Curtis Chapman, struggles for emotional balance, and living with grief, Mary Beth’s story is our story–wondering where God is when the worst happens. In Choosing to SEE, she shows how she wrestles with God even as she has allowed him to write her story–both during times of happiness and those of tragedy. Readers will hear firsthand about the loss of her daughter, the struggle to heal, and the unexpected path God has placed her on. Even as difficult as life can be, Mary Beth Chapman Chooses to SEE. Includes a 16-page full color photo insert.

____________________

For those of you that know me - you know Steven Curtis Chapman is the one person in the world I would love to sit down & have dinner with - talk to & get to know more about.  This book was the next best thing - written by his wife - so I also adore (heck, I love the whole family!!!)

I loved that it had some background on Mary Beth & Steven meeting & their young marriage & the birth of their children.  Then the adventure into adoption that God led them on...

And then we go through the horrible accident that involved their precious Maria & the way this family that puts their faith in God, how they withstood the attack that satan threw at them....

But you really do get a glimpse into the Chapman household... which made me zoom through this book in 2 days time.  I sighed at the young love of these two young college kids... I laughed at the idea of Steven Curtis Chapman putting a fire out in his underwear... I cried at the personal letters everyone in the family wrote to Maria to include with her "shell" at the funeral. 

Being a big fan as well, I remember Steven Curtis Chapman changing his 'look" when the accident happened.  This book even explained what happened with that - why his head was shaved & where the beard came from... that small story just broke my heart... I even had to read it to Ricky to share... that's the kind of book this is.  Small parts that will reach out & grab your heart & you see a family that has struggled through so much...

But a family that has also been so extremely blessed - with each other & the ministry that they share.

Of course, being a SCC fan, you knew I was going to love it - but I think any mother will appreciate this story - anyone who has adopted will appreciate it - anyone who sadly has lost a child will appreciate the sharing of Mary Beth's grief & openness with it...

My rating:  5 skeins (was there ANY doubt?)

1 comment:

petrii said...

This was such a powerful book RJ. I really loved it. It was hard in some places of course, lots of tears. But SO worth the read.

Love you friend,
dawn