Thursday, June 28, 2012

Finding Ultra

Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering MyselfFinding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself by Rich Roll
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my kind of book.
Love to hear of an inspiring story - & this was. A man who had a hard start in life battling alcohol & then found sobriety... & then let the fun of aging get to him. Rich Roll realized he was missing out on life when at 40 yrs old, he couldnt get up a flight of stairs without feeling like he was going to have a heart attack. He was determined to make changes.... & changes he made. The story of his journey to an ultraman & to a feat that no one had ever tried before - doing 5 Ironman routes in less then a week. Having seen an Ironman competition in person & seeing the strain on people's face & hearing of the soreness & recover after ONE - I cant image 5 back to back to back.

I also appreciated this book because Rich talks so much about nutrition & how a plant based diet changed his life. It got his health back inline - it boosted his endurance & athletic abilities. There's useful information here - especially in the appendix where he explains why he eats like he does. I actually learned something myself. I have a hard time with anemia & since I've cut out meat, he talks about iron as a vegan. He warned that drinking tea with dinner can cause iron to NOT be absorbed by 50-60% ... I drink tea all day long. HOLY SMOKES! I had no idea. I really did learn things ...

& was inspired.

I loved that his wife asked him after a bike accident & Rich was lucky he didnt break his neck - she asked him a question about his life & if he died that day, would he be happy with the direction of his life & what he accomplished. Rich's answer is what I want to say in my life to that same question.

If you're interested in running, athetics, a turn your life around story, nutrition, you'll enjoy this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: