Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Since You've Been Gone

Since You've Been GoneSince You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What do you do when your best friend just disappears? or the bigger question, Who are you when your best friend just disappears?
Emily gets a letter of things to do from her best friend Sloane after she disappears. Emily thinks this will some how bring her friend back if she marks everything off so she sets off to do these things that push her out of her comfort zone.
This book is sort of predictable in spots, but others, I smiled & giggled at the things on the list to do & did find myself being caught off guard a little.
We see Emily discover things about herself as she makes new friends & puts herself in vulnerable situations. I appreciated the idea of this book & being made to do things you wouldn't other wise do. I think we do get caught up in the sameness of life so often. & being someone's friend sometimes is what defines you until you don't know your own worth anymore.
I love what Emily discovered about herself.
I also love the relationships Emily found, with Frank & his friend Collin & her friend who worked down from her in a pizza place, Dawn. I especially loved Frank. & I REALLY loved that he & Emily became closer friends through running. That's always a soft spot for me.
This book is filled with great playlists too. I want to look online & find them all. Surely there is a Spotify list out there already made.
While I thought I was only going to give this 3 stars for its cuteness, sweetness but predictability, when I got to the end, I was sad to see Emily & Frank go. I wanted to know more about them & see where life took these two. I guess I liked it more than I thought.
... & Sloan - do we ever find out what happens to her? I don't want to give anything away. I think that was part of the intrigue of the book to me.

View all my reviews

No comments: