Saturday, September 18, 2010

Conversations with the Fat Girl

Book:  Conversations with the Fat Girl
Author:  Liza Palmer

Maggie & Olivia have been best friends since they were in grade school.  Both overweight, they befriended each other when no one else would.  Now grown up, Maggie is still shopping in the euphemism-if-there-ever-was-one "women's section" while Olivia went & had gastric bypass surgery in search of the elusive size 4, the holy grail for women everywhere.  So now Olivia's thin & blond & getting married to a handsome surgeon, & Maggie's the fat bridesmaid, again, in charge of planning "The Shower" & keeping Olivia's secret:  that she's really a fat girl in a thin boddy.  Aint life grand?
With wit & wisdom, Liza Palmer gives voice to women everywhere who wish for just once that they could forget about their weight.
________________________________

Maggie... Rebecca Jo... maggie.. Rebecca Jo...
I think we are interchangable.  This character of Maggie, I honestly related to because I found so much of myself in her.  The things she said, the way she felt about situations, the way she reacted to her life, even the way she spoke - "Are you kidding me?" - I felt like I was Maggie. To even add to that - she got car sick, she had a fear of flying, always had a Large Diet Coke everywhere she went... AND she loved Xanadu?  Can anyone please tell me how she's NOT like me?

We get to see how Maggie deals with a forced apartment move, a career change, her family always expecting more from her, the relationship she has with her sister Kate (who is totally opposite) & her mother - we see Maggie fall in love with Domenico (only her & his mother are allowed to call him that) - haha

If you have ever struggle with weight - I mean a REAL weight issue, you'll related with Maggie.  So many things she said stood out to me.  I even mentioned one part of it on my other blog:
http://rebecca-belle.blogspot.com/2010/09/confidence.html

This book does have some big time language... but I just had to normally laugh or feel badly when it was used... it was just "Maggie"

I loved to see how her sister Kate stood up for her - I loved to see how Maggie reacted with Domenico & how their relationship moved - I loved to see the person Olivia turned into after her surgery - I loved seeing Maggie become stronger & more confident with every move she made...

I loved how every chapter would have a "flash back" of sorts too - looking back to when things were at a different time & now, how Maggie can learn from them.

Here are just a few other examples of the story that just drew me in
:
"My relationship with my body is like that of an egomanic with a self- esteem problem.  Mostly I think about myself & how much I suck.  But there are rare moments when I walk around for hours & think I look amazing.  Either I feel great about myself or I've decided some guy is checking me out.  Then I catch a side view of myself in a store window or a department store mirror & I'm plunged into despair.  If I could always live in a place with no mirrors or disapproving glances, I would think I was the prettiest girl around."
______

"Kate & I used to play the Xanadu soundtrack & dance until Mom came home.  I specialized in all the ELO songs, while Kate preferred all things Olivia Newton John.  When Kate had homework or was playing with another friend, I retreated into my room where I built a make-believe time machine.  I played for hours - pushing buttons, giving orders, & feeling safe& comforted in my imagination.  I want that feeling of safety & freedom that came with those memories back.  I dont want the new feeling of momentary happiness followed by insurmountable guilt that comes from reaching for food for comfort.  I need to go back to the person I was at 8 years old.  She had it all figured out.  Maybe I'll build another time machine."
_______

Once you're labeled in school, no amount of factual information can unstick it form your psyche.

_______
We're sold this script for life with loves like Romeo & heroes like Jack London, but we've got an hour long commute to a job we hate & a utility bill to pay every month.  I crave a life of freedom & passion, but I've sentended myself to a life of quiet desperation & prime time sitcoms.  I've numbed myself & its going to hurt like a **er when I wake up.
________

Needless to say - I loved this book... I want to check out more from this author as well
My Rating:  5 skeins

1 comment:

Mrs. M said...

I love books! This sounds like a good one I will have to add to my list.