Thursday, May 26, 2011

Marathoning for Mortals


Book:  Marathoning for Mortals
Author: John "the Penguin" Bingham  & Coach Jenny Hadfield

Once considered a feat for superhuman athletes, the marathon is now within every mortal's grasp.  In MFM, you'll find the courage to train, the willpower to perservere & the tenacity to finish one mile after another.  John & Jenny stick with you every step of the way, from the first insecure thoughts to your last minute jitters to your supreme joy at the finish line.  In MFM, you'll find:
*8 training programs to run, run-walk, walk-run, or walk the half marathon & marathon
*the advice you need to physically, mentally & spiritually reach your dreams
*Tips to help you customize your training, buy the right shoes & apparel & eat the best foods
*Guidance for common motivational, physical & emotional roadblocks

Join John & Jenny on an amazing transformative journey where the finish line is just the beginning.
_________________________

First Line:  You already have everything you need to be a long distance athlete. Its a mind set - not miles - that seperates those who do from those who dream

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! A friend of mine who I met on Daily Mile just did his first marathon with the help of this book. He recommended it to me & I'm so thankful.

I saw that all my running ("training") was doing it the wrong way.  And maybe that's why my times arent improving.  I've actually pushed myself too hard...

This book gives wonderful tips, advice, motivation & REALITY.  They ask you questions & really stress not to pick a plan that is overwhelming for your age, your health, for YOU!  I ended up deciding to use the program that calls for "Run/Walk" half marathons... It will work best for me at my age & my past health & my weight.  And they let you know its OK to pick whichever plan... its just a journey between you & crossing that finish line. 

I highlighted so many things for encouragements - as well as knowledge I never realized before.

Here are some examples of motivation:

*For nearly everyone, races arent about competition - but rather about celebration.

*In every long distance race, your body eventually gets tired & your mind must take over

*Long distance training an be a positie & constructive form of selfishness.  After all, once you're at the starting line, you're there by yourself.  No one can run a single step for you. No one can jump in & help you.  No one but you can make the decisions about what to do to keep going.  ITS ALL UP TO YOU!

(my fav) *Crossing the starting line may be an act of acourage, but crossing the finish line is an act of faith.  Faith is what keeps us going when othing else will.  Faith is the emotion that will give you victory over your past, the demons in your soul, & all those voices that tell you what you can & cannot do & can & cannot be.

(whoooo  - good stuff)

So I start my new plan in this book in a few weeks to prepare for my 4th half marathon in November!  I'm excited to do it RIGHT.  Excited to see the changes in my body & my time...

My Rating:  5 skeins... I really do recomment it for anyone who is interested in learning to run any long distance.  (They also make a book similar for just beginning to run - not necessarily long distances)

Last Line:  Waddle on....

No comments: