Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Devil in Pew Number Seven

(This book was given to me by Tyndale Publishing in exchange for a fair & honest review)

The Devil in Pew Number Seven
Rebecca never felt safe as a child. In 1969, her father, Robert Nichols, moved to Sellerstown, North Carolina, to serve as a pastor. There he found a small community eager to welcome him--with one exception. Glaring at him from pew number seven was a man obsessed with controlling the church. Determined to get rid of anyone who stood in his way, he unleashed a plan of terror that was more devastating and violent than the Nichols family could have ever imagined. Refusing to be driven away by acts of intimidation, Rebecca's father stood his ground until one night when an armed man walked into the family's kitchen . . . And Rebecca's life was shattered. If anyone had a reason to harbor hatred and seek personal revenge, it would be Rebecca. Yet "The Devil in Pew Number Seven" tells a different story. It is the amazing true saga of relentless persecution, one family's faith and courage in the face of it, and a daughter whose parents taught her the power of forgiveness
******
I was so wrapped up in this book...
amazed that there was such evil in this world... such evil in a man who sat in the church building & planning harm to a family... a family that served God.  It blew me away.
I was so angry at this man for hating this family so much... I was angry that the pastor didnt move his family - that this little girl had to grow up with such fear.  I do understand the call God had on his life, but wow... being an outsider, its hard to imagine.
My heart broke for Rebecca & what she had to endure.  To have to be so fearful, everyday - not a childhood that is deserved.
And then to witness what she witnessed...
its amazing she turned out to be the person she is today....
I love a good true-life story... true stories show you that sometimes books cant even imagine this stuff up... life is bad enough ...  & courageous enough... & strong enough.  It really is eye opening to witness the love of Jesus in action, especially to people who dont deserve it.  Its also eye opening to see how active the devil is in this world too....

I really did enjoy this book.  Once I started it, I couldnt put it down.  Finishing it in one day.  I had to know the whole story... find out the ending...
My Rating:  5 skeins
Here's a preview of the Dr. Phil show they were on...

No comments: