Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hungry

Hungry: Lessons Learned on the Journey from Fat to ThinHungry: Lessons Learned on the Journey from Fat to Thin by Allen Zadoff
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

"From the time I was a young boy, I loved to eat"

I love stories of real life - especially ones that have someone overcoming struggles.

I have struggled my whole life with weight, so I was excited to read this story.

While I did enjoy the way it started off, it just became sort of monotonous after awhile.

Allen has SERIOUS struggles with food, learning that he has a eating compulsion. I can understand that. Some people don't believe that food can be an addiction - I totally believe it. Just as drugs or alcohol, it can have that same sort of compulsion behind it. Allen's was so severe that it ruled his life, causing him to sneak, lie to people, change his lifestyle so he could eat whatever he wanted to in the confines of his home.

That held my interest... I could appreciate his struggle....

But we get into the second and third part of the book & he was telling how he changed it...

& it was like 50% of the book was just saying "This isn't a diet book'... ok, I didn't think it would be... & "Just stop eating the things that trigger the addiction for you"... well, that takes a genius.

It would have been so much better if he took those last sections of the book & talked about how he felt once he made the change - how his life changed - pictures of his progress - more of an autobiography, instead of turning into a sort of 'self help' book that really didn't offer any self help.

It was a short book - I started it around noon - had it finished by 7pm - & that was just picking at it for those hours. So I don't feel like I wasted anything by reading it... but definitely not my favorite read.



View all my reviews

No comments: