Friday, March 13, 2015

Maybe One Day

Maybe One DayMaybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The story of 2 girls who are best friends & one suddenly gets cancer....

Oh mercy, you know this is going to end in tears.

Olivia & Zoe are have been best friends growing up together, dancing together, becoming teenagers together. Suddenly, as they are rejected from their dancing troupe, Olivia is discovered to have a rare form of leukemia.

The story follows Olivia as she goes through treatment & how that affects her older brother, Jake, her younger twin brothers, her parents & of course, her best friend who she spends every minute with, as teenage girls do.

This book was hard for me to read. Having seen a friend go through leukemia as a teenager & then loosing a best friend to cancer later in life myself, it just tugged at my heart in different ways. It made feelings come right back to me, especially after the loss of a friend & I appreciated some of the words that Zoe had said because they felt true to me having been in a similar position.

I will say, I didn't like about this book that they made God seem like a jerk ... or worse, nonexistent. The girls would make fun of prayer & make comments about how God couldn't exist to let things like this happen. I really thought, because it was mentioned so much, that it would be a focal point of a turn around in a relationship with God. Nope. They still all hated God by the end.... which to me, with a book focused on young adult, made me sad to have that as a focus with no hope. Just me.

If you read it, be prepared to be sad... & remember that life always continues on....

View all my reviews

No comments: