Monday, October 31, 2016

This is Where It Ends

This Is Where It EndsThis Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I wasn't sure if I should give it one star or be generous & give two... but I just really didnt like much about this book at all.
First, I knew the topic of a school shooting was going to be intense. I just didnt realize how intense this was going to be. Like a little too much for me. A little too much in the sense that it was too fast & too scattered in the story telling.
We're seeing this story of a teenager come to an auditorium & lock the students in & go on a shooting rampage. Why? Because he obviously is troubled. He's lost his mother - his father is abusive - & apparently he can't handle his sister's sexuality. It all just angered me because it felt like none of it made any sense. I guess in reality, most shootings dont make sense - so I'll give it that.
& in each chapter, we are visiting with each of the 4 people centrally involved - Ty's sister, her girlfriend, the girlfriend's brother & Ty's ex girlfriend.
To say there were a lot of characters to keep up with is an understatement. For every 4 of the stories, there are a few more people connected to each one. It can get sketchy on whose who.
& in the end? I was just angry at who didn't make it out of the school at the end of the day & the results for Ty.
I didn't find any enjoyment in this book at all. Left angry & frustrated. Again, could make it a better than 1 star rating? But let's just chalk this rating up to my anger speaking.

View all my reviews

10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity High School finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m. The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03 a.m. The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05 a.m. Someone starts shooting.

Told from four different perspectives over the span of fifty-four harrowing minutes, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.
 

No comments: