Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The 13th Gift

The 13th Gift: A True Story of a Christmas MiracleThe 13th Gift: A True Story of a Christmas Miracle by Joanne Huist Smith
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I feel like such a Scrooge giving this book 2 stars, but I just didn't really care for it.
Its the story of a family that lost their husband/father & how their first Christmas was. 2 teenage boys who are rebelling, 1 young girl who still has the innocence to her of wanting everything to be OK, & a mother/wife who is grieving & doesnt want to make new Christmas memories without her spouse.
I think why I didn't enjoy it was because it was just so sad to me. It was something I dont really want to think about or feel & I could feel the sadness this family was experiencing. Yes, this is a true story, which made it even heavier in emotion to me.
Of course, I did appreciate the point of the story - a mystery person who left a gift on the front porch of this family the last 12 days before Christmas, & ultimately brought this family close together for the holidays... & even more, set a future plan & surprise for future families that needed support & love during the holidays.
I have to say though, I was glad the story was done. my heart couldn't take it.... so while I'm rating more on how this book effected me instead of how the writing is, its my own personal view.
Sorry if it sounds like Ba Humbug...

View all my reviews

No comments: