Friday, January 16, 2015

Wild

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest TrailWild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm probably going to be one of the few that doesn't give a lot of stars for this book.

I'm sorry - it was sad & boring to me.

I wanted to read this book before I saw the movie. I love Reese Witherspoon. I think the idea of a woman hiking the PCT trail on her own in order to 'find herself' is interesting. I think I would have been better off with the movie. (& I probably rarely, if ever, would make that statement against a book)

The story of Cheryl Strayed is everywhere right now. A woman who did something not a lot of people do, much less a woman... by herself. Cheryl lost her mother to lung cancer & her family & marriage just fell apart afterwards, leaving her mixed up in meaningless relationship & trying drugs to comfort her.

This journey was to help her start a new life... which ultimately, it does.

But the whole journey to me was just slow. Now, I will say, I did like the beginning. The story of her relationship with her mother. I sat & cried at the passing away of her mother & thought how unfair life is. But the rest of the book of being on the trail & the people she meets along the way & the different detours she has to take to get to her final destination? Yawn. It just became mind numbing to me.

Maybe I need to go hiking by myself to understand better why everyone is going crazy over this story...

View all my reviews

No comments: