Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Memory Keeper's Daughter


Book: The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Author: Kim Edwards
OK - I have seen this book out & wanted to buy it. Lynn let me borrow it & I was excited... my bubble was popped though... I didnt care for this book at all....

The story is about Dr. David Henry & about his wife who gives birth to twins. The first is born healthy - the 2nd is a daughter born with Down Syndrome. He asks the nurse to take her to a home & gives her up, telling the mother the baby died. The nurse, Caroline, wasnt able to leave her & ran with the baby, Phoebe, & raised her on her own.

The secret between David & Norah caused a rift in their relationship - that only builds more secrets... & then when their son Paul gets older, he too starts getting caught in the "rifts of secrets"....

Good story idea I guess... but for me, I just couldnt "get into it"... LONG chapters, complicated wording to tell a simple thought. Like someone would be thinking of something & next thing you know, they are thinking of the past, & then right back to the present... for me - that was hard to follow.

Plus, I thought it was sad in the end when David never got to meet his daughter or explain...

Again - this is just my opinion... this book wasnt for me... at all...

My rating: 1 Skein out of 5

3 comments:

shelley said...

hi rebecca joe!
nice to meet you stopping ova from roll call this am, i saw this book a while back and thought hmmm since i have 2 daughters one with special needs and i just couldn't get myself to buy it... so thanks for the review now i don't need to feel bad about that! LOL i'm having a fab giveaway stop by and say "hi" and check it out!
cheers,
shelley
http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com
http://theplaygroundprincess.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

Hi and Thank you for commenting on my new blog. Check out my other one when you get a chance, too.

Carma Sez said...

yeah, the ending was a downer. I read the book a year ago. I'm all for the neatly tied together happy ending!