Monday, August 3, 2009

The Vigil


Book: The Vigil
Author: Cecila Samarlin
So this is the last book I read since starting this. A publishing company got ahold of me & sent it to me before they released it. That was pretty cool. Unfortunately, I was so busy & didnt get to read it before it was released... but once I got into it, I was sucked in & wished I read it earlier...

This is a story about a young girl named Ana who lived in El Salavador during war times. The way she survived is by God's hand & she soons finds herself in a convent with a Sister who helped her. Before she is to take her vows, she is to go to be a nanny in a home that is in need of her touch.

The little boy is a handful - but no match for Ana & soon the family expands with another little girl. Ana is now part of the family. She sees these kids grow up - she watches the relationship between their parents... & she falls in love...

The story flashes back from the deathbed of her husband to her past & it merges to the present. The passing of her husband is so sad - I actually teared up on those pages ... but it shows how "into" the story I was.

It was a fast, easy, nice read.

The only thing that struck me - Ana was a good, kind hearted person who wanted to become a nun - in one part of the story, she used a curse word that was SOOOO out of character. I wonder why they put that in - it just didnt "fit" Ana... but other then that - the story was really well told.
One of my favorite quotes from the book: "He was an uncomplicated, happy man with a soulful laugh that could tenderize the toughest of moments"... isnt that great?

My rating: 4 out of 5 .... I was going to use stars - but I love yarn & skeins - so I'll give out SKEINS instead of stars!!! Just who I am - its my blog - right?

1 comment:

Jaedyn said...

Wow, what a beautiful cover! I'll have to check this one out.

And I totally feel your pain when it comes to trying to get book reviews out on time! lol

Are you on GoodReads? I REALLY like it - and I've tried lots of online places for books. It's more like Facebook in that you can keep track of what your friends are reading all on one page, etc.

The link to my GoodReads account is in my left sidebar on my blog. :-) I would love to be friends there!