Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Gift



Book:  The Gift
Author:  Richard Paul Evans

Nathan Hurst hated Christmas.  For the rest of the world, it was a day of joy & celebration; for Nathan it was simply a reminder of the event that destroyed his childhood.  Until a snowstorm, a cancelled flight, & an unexpected meeting with a young mother & her very special son would show him that Christmas is indeed the season of miracles.
_____________________________
Get to slide in one more book for the end of the year...

And what a book!

I love Richard Paul Evans - everything he writes & his books he puts out at Christmas.  I think this one is from last year (possibly 2 years ago) & I just put it in my pile & forgot about it & didnt want to read it any other time but around the Holidays.  I remembered this year, & was so glad I read it - I got through this book like like 2 days... would've one day if I didnt have to work (dang work!)

But this book is the story of a little boy, Collin, who has cancer & died & was brought back.  He remembered being on the "other side" & came back with some special powers.  He can "read" people & the kind of person they are.. & he also has a special "touch" about him that ends up causing sort of a riot. 

His mother, Addison, is a very strong, independant, woman & strong, single mother as she takes care of her children.  Collin's sister, Elizabeth is also such a realistic description of what a younger sister would be. 

And they run into Nat one evening at an airport when everyone is snowed in.  Nat couldnt let them sleep in the airport when he obviously can see that Collin is sick.  That night he offers his hotel suite to them - that night sets in motion their lives all connecting.  Especially after Nat is "touched" by Collin & his power that he has...

This book isnt a "Christmas" book really - but it will definitely warm your heart & make you smile, & most definitely will make you cry.

And its also really depicts how people are so wanting so desperately to put their faith into something....

One other character that I loved in this book is Nat's assistant, Miche - everyone should have a friend like this lady... love that in a book, you can have a male/female friendship that isnt anything other then friends... good to see!

I totally recommend it - anytime of the year!
My rating - 4 skeins

2 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for the book review...I will certainly be checking out "The Gift" at the library. I LOVE reading these kinds of books...especially at Holiday time.

Have a great evening my friend,
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

how many blogger actually sit down and read a book, then write a review for others,
this is such an awesome task, I admire your patience and intelligence on it.

Cool blog.

http://en.wordpress.com/tag/jingle/
just in case you wonder where i live.

Best wishes.