Saturday, November 20, 2010

Beastly

Book:  Beastly
Author:  Alex Flinn

A beast.  Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright - a creature with fangs & claws & hair springing from every pore.  I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales?  No way.  The place is New York City.  The time is now.  It's no deformity, no disease.  And I'll stay this way forever - ruined - unless I can break this spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me.  Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day & prowls by night?  I'll tell you.  I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, & the perfect life.  And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly.... beastly.
____________________________________

First Line:  I could feel everyone looking at me, but I was used to it.

I have been blogging about the movie that is coming out & I am so excited about it... so when a friend told me the book was out, I had to read it. 

First, the book doesnt look like the previews of the movie - so dont know how "much" of the book is in the movie... but its still the story of the classic Beauty & the Beast... & if you know me, that steals my heart everytime.

This book is tagged as a "YA" - Young Adult book ... I can see that when it talks about Kyle being 16 years old & in high school... but its still a fun little, quick read.

Its not the BEST book I've ever read... And if I wasnt such a Beauty & the Beast fan, I'm not sure how much I would have loved it...

It did have some great lines in it though... when Kyle, who becomes "Adrian" changes & his heart softens, its so sweet to see the words that pour out of him to Lindy.  The relationship between Adrian & the witch, Kendra is very interesting too.  I especially love the blind tutor that is hired to take care of Adrian, Will... which I see in the movie, Neil Patrick Harris plays (YIPEE!)

My rating:  3 skeins for everyone... (for me, being a B&B fan, 4 skeins)

Last Line:  I hold my hand out to her. "May I have this dance?"

No comments: