Sunday, March 18, 2012

Breathless

When Katie Kitrell is shipped off to boarding school by her distant father and overbearing mother, it doesn’t take her long to become part of the It Crowd. She’s smart, she’s cute, and she’s an Olympic-bound swimmer who has a first class ticket to any Ivy League school of her choice. But what her new friends, roommate, and boyfriend don’t know is that Katie is swimming away from her past, and from her schizophrenic older brother, Will, who won’t let her go. And when he does the unthinkable, it’s all Katie can do to keep her head above water.

__________________

I was drawn into this story because I wanted to see how the lives would turn out for Katie & for her brother Will... it definitely wasnt a story-book ending that you expect with every story.  I appreciated that.

It was a story though of a young girl trying to hide her past, while relying on her strength of swimming & starting a "new life" in a new place... making new friends.

I did enjoy the characters... from Katie's room mate that you can never put your finger on, to her boyfriend who I appreciated the story having a Christian character that wasnt TOO much a joke.  He kinda was in parts, but the story did keep him as a Christian.

It was a view in the things that make it so hard to grow up... family issues, friendships, relationships, pressure from sports, the "mean girl"... growing up is tough.

The story didnt blow my mind... but I did want to keep reading to see how Katie's life would end up.

I also loved the ending went & showed "10 years later"... I always like that - to see a little deeper into the story.

My rating:  3 skeins

No comments: