Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Midget's House

The Midget's HouseThe Midget's House by Anita Bartholomew
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A friend recommended this book after I finished reading Water for Elephants. This was another 'circus-themed' book... but much different.

This book is about a house that was built for midget's in the time of carnivals, traveling circuses - a place where people would come & watch these small people... but it never worked out as planned.

I'm not even sure how to explain the book... its told from 2 different times... from Lucinda, the small person who owned the house & from Marisa, the owner of the house today. Lucinda is a spirit that is stuck in the house & Marisa can feel her presence & all the odd things happening around her.

The story flips back & forth so we get to see what happened in the past as well as what Marisa was doing with the house in the present...

I absolutely loved this book... didnt want it to end.

I loved hearing about Lucinda's life & how she traveled with the circus & carnivals & the people she met, who became her friends, & the man she fell in love with, Cyprus.

& I loved hearing about Marisa - a child who grew up in this house when her aunt owned it & then inherited it when her aunt passed away. Marissa has a fight on her hands to keep the house from being demolished

I dont want to give anything away... I just know I loved the story. The way the characters tied into each other, the history of the traveling circus, the story of Lucinda being different& just wanted the things everyone wants... love.

Thank you to my friend for recommending it... definitely enjoyed every minute of reading it.

View all my reviews

No comments: