Monday, February 8, 2010

Plain Pursuit

Book:  Plain Pursuit
Author: Beth Wiseman

Carley Marek experiences culture shock when she vists her friend Lillina's family on their farm deep in Amish country.  She'll get an article out of the visit - & maybe some of Lillian's newfound peace will somehow rub off on her. 

Just when Carly is getting used to the quite nature of the Plain community, Lillian & Samuel's son falls ill.  But the local doctor who can offer the most help has been shunned by the community & forbidden to intervene.

As David's condition deterioriates, Dr. Noah determines to do whatever it takes to save the boys life.  Carley is caught in the middle - drawn to Noah, wanting to be helpful in the crisis - & confused by all their talk about a God she neither knows nor trusts.

Carley must decide what in life is worth pursuing... & what to do when she's pursued by a love she never expected.
_______________________________________
I loved this book!!!!  That's the first thing I have to say about it.....

The story of Carley & her "vacation" to the Amish country was so telling & interesting.  Then you bring in the sad situation of what happens to her friend, Lillian's son & the story really gets involved when they see who the doctor is - the brother of Samuel, who has been shunned - & David is willing to do whatever it takes, even risking his own life. 

The struggle that Carley goes through as she's learning this new way of life is written so beautifully.  As she realized that God has been with her all along, even when she faced tragedy of loosing her mother in an accident & how that accident affected her life.  Anger would stir up & she turned from God - but Carley soon learns through these amazing people that God is still there.

A romance forms with Dr. Noah & Carley & its romantic, fun & heart breaking.... Carley's life after the accident causes her to believe no one would want to marry her & her reaction to Dr. Noah breaks hearts.. mine included. 

Personally, it struck home because I could personally know the pain that Carley was going through... (I hate it because I never want to give too much away).....

In the end, you see reconciliations that you would never believe would be possible, between families, between God, in relationships you werent sure would work out... & in the end, you realize that God is in control of it all....

If you are interested in this book, you can check it out more here:
http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=1595547193&title=Plain_Pursuit

I will note too - I did not read the first book in this series & apparently, it didnt affect my enjoyment in this book, so dont let that hinder you!  I am totally interested in getting that book though & checking it out - if its as good as this one, I know I'll enjoy that one too!

My Rating: 4 skeins

2 comments:

Together We Save said...

Thanks so much for sharing.... I live near southern Amish and they fascinate me.

Writing Without Periods! said...

I love book blogs and yours is great. Thanks for all the great reviews. I'm going to spend some time reading a few others.
Mary