Thursday, August 11, 2016

When Jesus was a Green-Eyed Brunette

When Jesus Was a Green-Eyed Brunette: Loving People Like God DoesWhen Jesus Was a Green-Eyed Brunette: Loving People Like God Does by Max Davis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. For some reason, i was thinking it was a story, but quickly found out otherwise.
The beginning of the book is Max Davis's life experiences & how God lead him to become a writer. A LOT of talk about this "Green-eyed Brunette" - which sort of got on my nerves a bit. It's why I gave it 3 stars instead of 4. I think the first few chapters just didn't hold my attention. It was just like reading someone's biography & it just didn't flow easily for me. Example - this talk about the green-eyed brunette was so much of the story, but then it was like in a hot second, we found out her name &that they married. WHAM! BAM! It was just odd how after referring to his wife like that for so long, the deliverance of her name & that they were married was just short ended. Hard to explain. Again, to me, it the was flow. Off putting.
I almost gave up on the book - but somewhere about half way through, I really really started loving it.
There were stories from other people & their experiences with God & they were so powerful. Some of the stories of people dealing with problems, health issues & even impending death - so moving. I loved the stories of how powerful the Word of God is. & the illustrations between a bonsai tree & a red oak? I'll never forget those example & will never look at those trees again the same.
Some of the book is repetitive in the things that most people that have been in church for awhile have heard - like how each disciple has died & how they could have easily said they didn't believe in Jesus. ... but I'm sure if a new believer was picking up this book, it may be a first time they saw this, so I respect its there.
In the end, I really had a change of heart about the book & glad I kept pushing on reading it.

View all my reviews
______________________

Book Description
When Jesus Was a Green-Eyed Brunette weaves heartwarming and miraculous stories of Jesus showing up in ordinary people, revealing that He knows us and is fully present in our everyday circumstances, especially in our difficulties. As best-selling author Max Davis puts it, "When we are born again, Jesus lives inside each of us. He is very much alive today and still does incredible things -- sometimes supernatural things -- through us!"
Davis's own life was dramatically altered when he first came face-to-face with Jesus living inside a green-eyed brunette. That encounter started a forty-plus-year journey where Jesus became his best friend. When we see others as God sees us we will love them as God loves us.
Those hurting and weary from worn-out religion are longing for a fresh touch from the living Jesus. By letting Jesus live through us we become a conduit of His love. Authentic Christianity is not about religion but a relationship with Jesus. Davis challenges us to do more than simply receive His grace -- we need to allow grace to soften, change, and shape us. As you read this book, you will laugh, cry, and come face-to-face with the living Jesus


No comments: